Tuesday, January 27, 2009

“While SETAF [Southern European Task Force - U.S. Army Africa] has trained, exercised and

deployed to Africa in the past, our focus and mission in Africa changed December 3rd when the announcement was made in Rome by the Italian and U.S. Governments that SETAF and Naval Forces Africa would become the Army and Navy components to U.S. Africa Command,” Army Maj. Gen. William "Burke" Garrett III, commanding general, U.S. Army Africa, said in a Bloggers Roundtable to discuss the new mission of SETAF and the organization’s future role.

Attending the call were Jim Dolbow, http://blog.usni.org/, David Axe, www.warisboring.com; Greg Grant, www.military.com; and Chuck Simmons, http://northshorejournal.org/.

Friday, January 16, 2009

"This is a historic time, we're really at a point, where we are supporting our warriors and loved ones recognizing that never in the history

of our republic has so much been borne on the shoulders of so few on behalf of so many for so long," said Army Brig. Gen. (Dr.) Loree K. Sutton, director of the Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury during a DoD Bloggers Roundtable yesterday. "Every possibly support, every possibly measure that we can take to help support warriors and their loved ones whether you are on the battlefront, whether you are on the home front or suffering from injuries seen or invisible that is what we are all about."

Brig. Gen. Sutton participated in a roundtable to announce the opening of a new 24-hour outreach center, which will be open 365 days a year and is staffed by behavioral health consultants and nurses. This center will provide service members, veterans and their families a new resource for psychological health problems and traumatic brain injuries.

The center can be reached by calling 866-966-1020 toll-free, or by sending an e-mail to resources@dcoeoutreach.org.

Joining us on the call were Carla Lois, http://somesoldiersmom.blogspot.com/ and Bruce McQuain http://www.qando.net/

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

12th Air Force Commander Says Air Force UAS Force is "All In"

"Next year, the US Air Force will procure more unmanned aircraft than manned aircraft," Air Force Lt. Gen. Norman Seip, commander of Twelfth Air Force (Air Forces Southern), said Monday. The general explained how the Air Force has 85 percent of its UAS capability currently deployed in support of operations in Southwest Asia. The other 15 percent are stateside to train UAS pilots and for operational test and development.

Lt. Gen. Seip discussed the Air Force's unmanned aerial systems and pilot track, activities in Central, South America and the Caribbean, and A-10 Thunderbolt II wing cracking issues. Joining Gen. Seip on the roundtable were Sagar Pathak with HorizontalRain.com, Chuck Simmins at America's North Shore Journal, David Axe with War is Boring, and Colin Clark of DoD Buzz.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

"What we consider the leading edge of reconciliation in Iraq is the Sons of Iraq

Program,” U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jeffrey Kulmayer, Chief of Reconciliation and Engagement for Multi-National Corps-Iraq said today.
Lt. Col. Kulmayer discussed the progress of reconciliation in Iraq and the transfer of the Sons of Iraq program to the Government of Iraq when he joined Andrew Lubin, David Axe, Claire Russo, Greg Grant, David Tate, and Chuck Simmins for the DoDLive Bloggers Roundtable.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Air Force LIVE

Really good stuff going on over at Air Force Live.